Friday, October 10, 2008

Hi! Nice to Meet You, Lovely Conversation, Now GO AWAY...

So, as I mentioned in my first post, I am trying the whole online dating thing. Why you ask? Well I have had multiple fairly long relationships, and clearly none of them have worked. They started the natural way, through friends or in class (None in bars thanks, you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT meet a guy in a bar. Maybe for a one nighter but not for anything serious. It's a rule. It never works. Life, feel free to prove me wrong. I'll invite you to the wedding.) So I figured, why not. If there are this many dating site commercials on TV it has to be pretty popular. It doesn't make me a loser. I can meet people on my own, this is just utilizing technology to raise my chances of finding love. 

At first, I thought it was great. I described it as a "catalog of cock" and spent an evening with a lovely friend looking over all the profiles. I even got her and another two friends to sign up -- just to look. 

Then I received a million e-mails. So many that I needed to know what they said... so I paid. Then started the e-mail conversations. I am OK with that. Talk a little at my leisure. Get to know someone. I am open. Then came the, lets talk more. "Do you have AIM? Do you want to talk on the phone?" AIM please. Now, I kind of want them to go away. They are perfectly nice guys, really, but now whenever I get an IM, or an e-mail from the site, I get a little nauseous. Why? I don't know. 

Maybe I'm not ready. I want to be ready, I really do. I'm so over being in the post break-up era. I'm ready for the single and fabulous man-eater era to begin. 

Maybe it's too awkward for me; meeting random people who now want to talk to me all the time. I may just be horrible.

No comments: